This quick and easy Eggplant and Pork Stir-Fry recipe is a perfect Asian fusion meal that comes together in less then 30 mins! The spicy garlic sauce will bring everything together in one harmony!
You will be amazed how eggplants can taste so good! Savory, sweet and spicy flavors from this dish will instantly spice up your rice bowl! Try it without the pork to make it a veggie lover’s meal!
what kind of eggplant should i use?
You want to find the Chinese eggplant for this recipe at your nearest Asian market. They are typically long, slender in shape and purple color. The skin is more tender and thinner than the English eggplant.
why is it better to cook this in a wok?
I highly recommend cooking this dish in a heated wok. It will help:
- Bring out the natural sweetness in vegetables.
- Give a nice smoky flavor to meat and aromatics.
- Keep the moisture inside the vegetables instead of drawing them out.
what pairs well with this eggplant dish?
did you enjoy this eggplant & pork stir-fry?
Please rate this recipe if you enjoyed it!
Eggplant & Pork stir-Fry in Spicy Garlic Sauce
- 1 wok
- 1 wooden spoon
- 3 whole chinese eggplant, sliced about 1 lb 2oz
- 4-5 oz pork, pork butt, pork belly diced
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1-2 serano pepper sliced
- 1 finger red pepper sliced
- ¼ cup white part of scallion chopped
- 3 Tbsp green part of scallion sliced
- 8-9 Tbsp neutral oil, divided I used Rice Brand oil from Gamma One
- 1 tsp sea salt if needed.
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce I used Sempio brand
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp Toban Djan, Chili Bean Sauce I used Lee Keum Kee brand
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp gochugaru Korean red hot chilli flake coarse
- ½ Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Prep all the vegetables and set aside on a big tray.
- Heat a large wok in high heat. Once hot, add 3-4 Tbsp neutral oil.
- Add onion, garlic and white part of scallion into wok and stir fry for about 1 1/2 min. Add pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Add meat and stir fry for about 2-3min until meat is no more pink and onion is transparent.
- Add 4-5Tbsp more oil and add eggplant. Stir fry for about 3-4mins until eggplant flesh becomes yellowish color.
- Add all sauce ingredients and water into wok quickly then stir fry 1-2min.
- Lower heat and simmer for 1min. Add sea salt if needed and sesame oil.
- Turn off heat and add peppers, sesame seeds and green part of scallion.
- Serve hot with rice on the side.