This Easy Homemade Egg Drop Soup has all the wonderful flavors you will want in a bowl of soup! Made with homemade chicken broth, fresh aromatics and silky smooth egg! It is so comforting and satisfying! Pair this delicious soup it with your favorite Asian cuisines or by itself.
What is egg drop soup?
Egg drop soup is one of Chinese staple soup, also called Egg Flower Soup. It is typically made with a chicken stock base, then topped with egg slurry, corn starch slurry and garnish. You can find this simple yet delicious soup in most Chinese Restaurants. It tastes a bit close to a wonton soup but it has more texture and flavor in my opinion.
what are the basic ingredients for egg drop soup?
- Fresh chicken thighs, bone in and with skin. The chicken skin will give an extra boost to the overall flavor. Trust me it’s worth it!
- Fresh aromatics. Fresh ginger, garlic and scallion. If you have little ones who’s not into strong ginger flavor, use ground ginger powder.
- Large Egg: make sure you whisk it before pouring it into the soup.
- Sesame oil: Drizzle this at the end for that epic flavor enhancer! If you use it in the beginning, the flavor can get lost.
- Garnish: chopped scallions will bring out the flavors at the end! Highly recommended!
additional ingredients for egg drop soup:
Thickener: This is optional. I didn’t use it for this recipe but you can always use cornstarch slurry (corn starch and water mixed) to thicken up the soup.
how do you make egg drop soup?
You will find many great recipes out there for egg drop soup. This just happens to be my own version. I did omit the thickening agent in my version to keep things light and simple. Although, If thicker soup consistency is your thing, add the corn starch slurry.
- In a medium saucepan, add little neutral oil and set the temperature to medium-high heat.
- Gently lay the chicken, skin side down in the saucepan and cook for about 6-7mins.
- Add garlic, ginger and water. Bring to boil. Simmer in medium heat for additional 15-20min.
- Take out chicken. Skim the fat floating on top. Season to taste.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl. The slowly pour it into the simmering broth, in circular motion. This will help in creating some beautiful egg ribbons. Use chopsticks to help separate.
- Shred chicken meat and combine it back into the pot. Discard bone and skin.
- Garnish with scallion and sesame oil.
- Serve hot! Enjoy your bowl of egg drop soup!
why this recipe works!
I love ordering this classic egg drop soup from Chinese restaurants. But when I don’t have that option, this is how I make mine from home. My version may look simple, but it really tastes like restaurant-style egg drop soup! The deep flavors from the fresh chicken stock paired with fresh Asian aromatics will do the trick for you! Healthy and low carb too!!
which chicken part should i use for this soup?
I recommend using the chicken thigh for this soup. Make sure you get the one with bone and skin. It will help increase the flavor of the stock. I don’t recommend the drumstick though since they tend to draw out more blood when you boil them, which can make the stock bitter. If you still want to use them, I recommend parboiling them for few minutes to draw out the blood before making this soup.
can you omit the chicken skin?
If you like your soup more on the clean, less oily side, you don’t have to use the chicken skin. You may have to add a bit of oil when cooking the chicken though to prevent from sticking from the pan.
why is chicken skin recommended for this recipe?
- The chicken skin produces a deeper chicken stock flavor overall.
- The skin also protects the chicken meat from burning from the pot.
- You don’t pay extra for chicken skin, so why not use if for your benefit.
egg drop soup pairs well with:
Since Egg drop soup is very mild, it can pair well with many dishes. I sometimes make it a main dish by combining it with cooked rice and kimchi. Here are some of my other pairing suggestions:
- stir-fried rice
- spicy foods
- fried dumplings
- egg rolls
- Chinese dinners
what are some topping ideas for homemade egg drop soup?
Since, this is a mild soup, you can layer different toppings to bring out different flavor profile. Use topping or toppings of your choice.
- chopped scallions
- sesame seeds
- spicy chili oil
- chopped kimchi
- hot sauce
- chili flakes
- roasted seaweed flakes
can i make this soup gluten free?
Yes, you can use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. Make sure you modify the amount to fit your taste bud.
can you save the leftovers?
Yes you can keep it in the fridge for about 2 days. The best way to reheat is on the stovetop. Microwave heating may overcook your eggs, creating a rubbery texture.
LIked this recipe?
Be sure to check out more recipes below!
Easy Homemade Egg Drop Soup
- 9 oz chicken thigh bone in, skin on
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 2 slice ginger
- ½ Tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 3½ cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped scallion
- Clean chicken and wipe dry with paper towel.
- Into a heated pot, add neutral oil. Gently place chicken, skin side down, being careful of oil splash. Place the lid and cook chicken for about 6-7 mins in medium heat until skin is golden brown on both sides.
- Add garlic, ginger and water into the pot. Bring to boil and simmer in medium heat for 15-20min.
- Take out chicken to cool and skim the fat from the pot.
- Add salt, sugar, pepper, wine and soy sauce.
- Drizzle beaten egg in circular motion. Stirring with chopstick as needed.
- Shred chicken meat and combine it back into the soup. Turn off heat.
- Finish with sesame oil and chopped scallions.