This Sweet Summer Corn with Rice is a perfect one pot meal for any time of the day! It’s healthy, savory and bursting with tons of natural corn flavors!! Top it off with Asian seasonings before serving and you got yourself a tasty meal that’s sure to please any hungry tummies!
This recipe is perfect for any time of the year, and best for the summer months since that’s when fresh corn is known to be the sweetest and most succulent! Corn is a great vegetable for this recipe since it is naturally sweet, versatile and so fun to eat! Just imagine, fresh kernels, corn juices, hot sticky rice, with butter and soy sauce! You get the picture! If will be a huge hit!
Why this recipe works
You are actually cooking 2 dishes in one. While cooking the rice in the claypot, the steam is also helping the corn to cook. This also allows the natural corn flavor to seep deep into each rice grains. Your rice mixture will taste wonderful and naturally sweet!! I used short grain rice for this recipe because the texture is amazing with corn when paired together.
What ingredients are needed for corn with rice?
- Fresh summer corn
- Short grain rice **You can use different types of rice, however the water amount will have to be adjusted.
- fresh cold water
- sea salt
- soy sauce
- Furikake Seasoning
How to make sweet summer corn with rice:
- Wash your short grain rice. Rinse rice until water runs clear and set on a strainer to drain rice. This will help as you measure your water level, otherwise the cooked rice may end up being too watery.
- Take an ear of corn and break it in half. It shouldn’t be too hard to break. You can use a knife to cut it into half. Just make sure It needs to be small enough to fit into the clay pot. Remember to use fresh corn though!!
- Into a clay pot, add the strained rice and a pinch of sea salt. You can give it a stir if you like. Then place corn on top of rice, add water and cover pot.
- Bring water to boil, then adjust temp to low heat and simmer for about 25-30 mins. Or until the corn is cooked and rice is done. Turn off heat and let it rest in the post for another 3-4 mins. Each claypot may cook differently so the cooking time may need to be adjusted. My rice was bit crispy on the bottom which gave it a nice texture.
- Take the corn out of the pot and place it on a cutting board to cool. Fluff the rice with either a wooden rice paddle or a silicone spoon, to protect the clay pot surface. Add butter, soy sauce and mix gently.
- Hold the cob upright and then cut corn kernels off the cob with a sharp knife. Take the sweet corn kernels and add it all back into the clay pot. Give it another mix and sprinkle with furikake.
- Enjoy hot from the pot!
Additional topping ideas:
- toasted sesame oil
- roasted seaweed
- chopped green onions
- black pepper
- fried egg
- spicy chili sauce
- fried garlic chunks
Can you make this in a rice maker?
I have seen few recipes where the fresh corn is added into the rice cooker with rice. I think that’s a great idea and I may have to try that next time! Again, the main difference may be the water level and texture. My clay pot gave me some golden crust here and there which was a nice addition.
If I don’t have a clay pot, can I use a Dutch oven instead?
Yes, a small Dutch oven can be used for this recipe. Just make sure you check the rice and corn and do a taste test before turning off the heat.
What kind of corn should I use for this recipe?
I personally prefer the yellow corn, because they have a nice bite. But if you like soft corn texture, use the white corn instead.
Can I use chicken or vegetable stock instead of water?
It’s really personal preference. Yes, you can use stock instead of water when cooking the rice, however, the natural corn flavor may disappear altogether.
Is this a main course dish or a side dish?
This corn with rice dish can be enjoyed as a small meal or lunch by itself. But if you want to make it heartier, add in proteins of your choice!! Believe it or not, this dish would make a delicious side dish too! Definitely a great way to add more veggies to your meals!
Need more rice recipes?
- RICE AND SOYBEAN SPROUT HOT POT/KONGNAMUL BAP
- KOREAN MULTIGRAIN RICE, JAPGOKBAP
- EASY 15-MINUTE FRIED RICE RECIPE
Sweet Summer Corn with Rice
- 1 clay pot with lid size: 2 servings
- 180 ml short grain rice ¾ cup US Standard
- 200-220 ml water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 ear fresh corn on a cob
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1-2 tsp Tsuyu Soy Sauce
- ½ Tbsp Furikake Seasoning
- Wash rice and set it on a strainer. Break corn in half.
- Bring out a clay pot and add rice and sprinkle sea salt. Place corn on top of rice. Add water, then cover pot with lid.
- Bring pot to boil then simmer in low heat for about 30 mins or until rice is fully cooked. Turn off heat. With lid on, leave in pot for additional 3-4 mins.
- Take corn out of the pot and let it cool. Fluff the rice with wooden spoon. Add in butter, soy sauce and mix gently.
- Cut corn kernels off the cob and add it back into the pot. Mix gently then sprinkle furikake. Enjoy hot from the pot!