Who loves homemade meatballs?? For some odd reason, I really enjoy making meatballs! It may have started when my kids were toddlers, since they loved finger food!! And from what I could remember, my kids enjoyed chicken meatballs the best! This Baked Asian Style Chicken & Rice meatballs are perfect for any time of the day! These are gluten free, super tasty and filled with lots of healthy ingredients!! Make it even better by pairing it with baked eggplants!!
what makes these meatballs unique?
This is a gluten-free chicken meatball recipe with a twist of added rice, making it a hearty and delicious meal for everyone! For this recipe, I have incorporated warm sushi rice which has a tendency to be sticky. If you use different type of rice, you may need to modify the ingredients. In addition, these meatballs make great meal to go!! Just pack some with ketchup in your kiddie’s lunch box, and it will keep them full and fueled!!
Do i need to use eggplants for this dish?
Eggplants are optional ingredient here but I highly recommend pairing them together! Once baked, the eggplants come out so sweet, flavorful with a wonderful texture!! Goes super well with the chicken rice meatballs!! And be sure to use the Chinese eggplants!! It does make a difference!!
what kind of sauce will go well with this?
These meatballs can be enjoyed as is or can be paired with your favorite spaghetti sauce. I will soon post a recipe for that one! Stay tuned!
did you enjoy this recipe?
If you loved this recipe, please tag me on my Instagram @seasonbyjin and post a picture! Would love to see your creation!
Baked Asian Style Chicken & Rice Meatballs with Eggplants in Pasta Sauce
- Cast iron skillet, 12" diameter
- mixing bowl
- disposable gloves
- long tong
- oven gloves
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ cup onion diced
- ¼ cup scallion chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1½ tsp ginger grated
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- ⅛ tsp black pepper + white pepper
- ½ Tbsp mirin
- ½ Tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1 cup cooked sushi rice firmly packed
- 5-6 Tbsp Mochiko sweet rice flour
- 4-5 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil
- ¼ cup Cilantro chopped
- 24 oz Pasta Sauce
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 piece Chinese eggplant, medium size chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt for eggplant
- 1 tsp Mirin for eggplant
- Into a big mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except for rice and rice flour. Use glove to incorporate everything well. Gently mix to preserve meat texture.
- Add rice and mochiko, mix gently. Let it sit for 10-15min. Then make 2" round meatballs.
- Wash eggplants & pat dry. Cut them into big chunks. Sprinkle with sea salt and mirin. Toss and let it rest for 10min.
- Heat cast iron skillet. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Into the hot skillet, add oil then the meatballs. Cook for 3-4min, flipping half way. Take the meatballs out and place them on a plate.
- Put the eggplants into the skillet and quickly stir them around until coated with oil, about 30 sec. Turn off heat and put the meatballs back into the skillet. Give it a mix and place the skillet into the preheated oven. Bake for 20 min.
- Meanwhile, heat Pasta Sauce in a separate sauce pan until hot. Keep the lid on and keep warm.
- Take hot skillet from oven and place on top of stovetop. Pour Pasta Sauce into the meatballs. Give it a good mix.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and parmesan cheese.
- Can serve on a bed of pasta and crusty bread. Salt and pepper to taste.