Any Kimchi stew lovers? How about tofu? This stew brings the best of two worlds together into one spicy and delicious dish!! You get the savory and spicy kimchi complimented by the soft & tender tofu that just melts in your mouth! Let’s not forget the hot spicy broth that brings all the richness to your dinner table! All you need is some hot rice to complete this satisfying meal!!
what kind of tofu is best for this stew?
You need to purchase the extra soft tofu texture. The firm and the medium texture will no work. My favorite one is by the brand called Pulmulone. They are typically in a cylindrical shape. You can actually squeeze it and see how soft it is. The package looks like this, see below. Once they are cooked, they are extremely soft and tender and melt in your mouth!!
did you enjoy this spicy soondubu recipe?
Check out my other spicy recipes:
Kimchi Stew with Soft Tofu, Kimchi Soondubu Jjigae
- 6 oz pork belly diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1½ cup fermented napa cabbage kimchi finely chopped
- ½ Tbsp salted shrimp/Saeu-jeot
- 4-5 Tbsp kimchi brine
- 3 cup water divided
- 2 packs soft tofu
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- ½ Tbsp Gochugaru, Red Chili Pepper Flakes coarse
- ½ Tbsp Gochugaru, Red Chili Pepper Powder fine
- ¼~½ tsp sugar
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ½ tsp shiitake mushroom powder
- 2 Tbsp Soup Soy Sauce, Gukganjang
- 1~1½ tsp sea salt, or as needed
- 1 stalk scallion chopped
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- Chop onion, scallion, and mince garlic. Set aside. Chop pork into bite size pieces, set aside.
- Separate fillings from cabbage leaves, use only cabbages for the stew. Chop kimchi into bite size pieces. set aside.
- Make stew sauce and set aside.
- In a large stockpot add pork and heat on high. Stir fry until pork is halfway done, rendering the fat. Add kimchi, and onion. Stir fry until onion is transparent. Add salted shrimp and stir fry for 30seconds. Add 2cups water and kimchi brine and close lid. Bring to boil, then medium heat simmer for 15min.
- Add stew sauce and 1 cup of water, continue to cook in medium heat for 5-8min until kimchi is soft with lid.
- Season to taste, add salt as needed. Add tofu carefully into the pot and boil on high for 3-4min. Add egg and boil for 1-2min.
- Garnish with sesame oil, scallions, and sesame seeds. Serve hot, enjoy with sticky rice!