This Folded Kimbap Recipe is super easy to follow along and fun to make! Instead of rolling your kimbap, how about folding them for a change! Grab few staple ingredients and your kimbap can be enjoyed in minutes! Let me show you how!
How this Kimbap was Inspired by the Tortilla Hack
Do you recall the tortilla wrap food hack that went viral on TikTok and social media for some time? You can say this folded kimbap is a spinoff of that hack. You pretty much need a base. Instead of a tortilla, a seaweed sheet will be used. You need some protein, veggies and sauce of your choice. For this recipe you will use cooked rice, spam, egg and kimchi. After you lay all the toppings of choice, you fold them up and eat it like a sandwich. The concept is the same except for this one, you will get square kimbap. You don’t know chopsticks or utensils, instead enjoy it like a sandwich!
Why this Kimbap Trend came back?
There’s a really trendy Korean Drama on Netflix right now. it’s called the “Extraordinary Attorney Woo” where the main character’s name is Young-woo. Pretty much in every episode Young-woo is eating a tray of Korean kimbap since that’s her favorite food. But in one episode, she ends up eating a folded kimbap since her friend doesn’t want to make a traditional kimbap in the morning. And now that you know the story, the next time you binge watch, make and eat this Kimbap too!
Why this recipe works:
- Ingredient list is simple
- Quick prep time
- Easy to follow and make
- Can work as a snack, quick lunch or light meal
- Packable (lunch box)
- Cost effective
- Get rid of leftover rice
- Fun to make!
What does folded kimbap taste like?
I want to say it’s similar to kimbap but it’s also different. Because all the fillings are bigger in size, the flavors are much bolder than a regular kimbap. I really liked the filling combinations where the kimchi and perilla leaves gave it a nice refreshing balance to the spam and fried eggs. Overall, I recommend this recipe and I would love to make it again!
What ingredients do I need?
- cooked sushi rice (I used short grain rice)
- sesame oil (don’t overuse the oil otherwise the rice won’t stick well)
- toasted sesame seeds
- pinch of salt & pepper
- nori sheets (seaweed sheets)
- pan fried egg
- pan fried sliced spam
- chopped kimchi
- Perilla leaves
How to make Folded Kimbap:
- First take a square nori sheet and lay the shiny side down and rough side up. You can feel the difference with your hand. If it’s a rectangular shape, you can cut it to make it square.
- Fold the nori sheet in half, then another half. Press down the edges to create crease. Open up the nori sheet. Then with scissors cut one line, halfway down the middle. All the other lines should still be intact. Set aside.
- Scoop warm rice into a mixing bowl. Combine sesame oil, sesame seeds, salt & pepper. Mix well with a rice scooper. Set aside to cool. Lay a cotton cloth on top of bowl to keep moisture.
- In a heated skillet, pan fry 2 eggs in medium heat. You can pop the yolk if you like. Fry until your liking. Add pinch of salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Cook sliced spam on pan until golden brown, set aside. You don’t need oil to cook the spam.
- Cut kimchi into bite-sized pieces. Pan fry chopped kimchi for a couple of minutes and set aside. (You can add some sesame oil if you like)
- With your hands, spread rice evenly on the bottom two squares. Try to make them flat with less bumps.
- Lay spam and the egg on each of the top 2 squares.
- Add kimchi and perilla leaves on top of the rice.
- Starting with the left bottom side, fold the seaweed upward. Next fold to the right side. And lastly, fold downward.
- Enjoy your Folded Kimbap!
How can I make folded Kimbap to go?
Right after you are done folding the kimbap, use the plastic wrap to cover it tight. Use a sharp knife and slice into half, leaving you with 2 triangles. You can now pack them into bento boxes or plastic containers. This meal can be stored in cool room temperature for a few hours. You can store it in the fridge however the rice will get hardened. I suggest consuming this meal the day you make it.
Here is a list of different ingredients you can use to make other folded kimbap versions:
- pork belly
- fish cake
- crab meat
- baby spinach
Did you like this recipe?
Did you enjoy this Folded Kimbap Recipe? Try this easy, tasty and fun recipe at home, it will feel more like making a sushi sandwich! it’s a great way to use up your leftovers in the fridge too. Be sure to check out more recipes below!
- STIR FRIED KIMCHI WITH RIBBON NOODLES
- AIR-FRIED KOREAN MAYAK GYERAN
- MODERN VEGAN KIMBAP
- Korean Street Toast Recipe
Folded Kimbap Recipe (Korean Tortilla Hack)
- 2 nori sheets seaweed sheets
- 1½ cup cooked sushi rice warm temperature
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices of spam
- ¼ cup chopped kimchi
- 4 sesame leaves
- 1 tsp neutral oil
- First take a square nori sheet and lay the shiny side down and rough side up. Fold the nori sheet in half, then another half. Press down the edges to create crease, then open up the nori sheet. Then with scissors cut one line, halfway down the middle. Set aside.
- Scoop warm rice into a mixing bowl. Combine sesame oil, sesame seeds, salt & pepper. Mix well with a rice scooper. Set aside to cool.
- In a heated skillet, add oil and pan fry 2 eggs in medium heat. You can pop the yolk if you like. Fry until your liking. Add pinch of salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Cook sliced spam on the same pan until golden brown, set aside.
- Cut kimchi into bite-sized pieces. Pan fry chopped kimchi for a couple of minutes and set aside.
- With your hands, spread rice evenly on the bottom two squares. Next add spam and egg on top 2 squares. Add kimchi and perilla leaves on top of rice. Starting with the left bottom side, fold the seaweed upward. Next fold to the right side. And lastly, fold downward.
- Enjoy your Folded Kimbap!