This simple yet delicious Korean Mayak Gyeran is a perfect option for a light meal or a side dish! You will love these air-fried soft jammy eggs marinated in umami packed house sauce! Mix it with a bowl of hot rice and you will be so satisfied! No wonder they are called mayak, which means totally addicting!!
What does the name mayak gyeran mean?
Please don’t think it’s strange, but mayak is translated as ‘drug’ in Korean. I think what the name signifies is that this marinated egg dish is so good, that you are going to get hooked like you would with drugs. I think it was meant to be more comical so no worries, there are no drugs in this egg dish!
How is this recipe different from other marinated eggs?
I wanted to create a different version of Mayak Gyeran. The method is slightly different, and the sauce has been modified too. You can find my previous Mayak Gyeran version here. This recipe uses an air-fried eggs, saving you some time, energy and less clean up!
Why are these eggs air-fried instead of boiled?
I love to utilize all different types of kitchen appliance for my cooking. Even before this recipe, I have experimented cooking eggs in toaster ovens, air fryers and egg steamers. After some time, I decided to try marinating my air-fried eggs and they came out better than expected!
What are some benefits in air-frying the eggs vs boiling?
- You don’t need to boil water.
- One less pot to wash later.
- You can set the temperature and timer and walk away.
- Don’t have to worry about over cooking the eggs.
How long can I keep this sauce fresh?
This sauce is good for about 4 days. I don’t recommend keeping it longer though, especially if you have contaminated the sauce from double dipping. This dish should be stored in the fridge and not in room temperature.
Where else can I use the mayak gyeran sauce?
This sauce is very versatile! Use them as dipping sauce for Korean pancakes/jeons and dumplings. You can even use it as a bibimbap sauce! So many options, give it a try!
If you love eggs, here are more egg lovers’ recipes!
Air-Fried Korean Mayak Gyeran, Addicting Marinated Eggs
- 1 air fryer with slide in tray
- 10 large organic eggs
- 1-2 whole Finger red pepper finely dice
- 1-2 whole Serrano green pepper finely dice
- 2 cloves garlic finely mince
- 3 stalk scallions finely chop
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ⅔ cup water
- 2-3 Tbsp Raw cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Apple vinegar I used Ottogi brand
- 2 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds whole
- Preheat air fryer 270-275F for about 2 mins.
- Air fry in two batches @270F for about 14min. Then submerge in ice water until cool to touch. Peel and set aside.
- Finely dice all vegetables. Combine in a glass bowl and add remaining sauce seasoning. Stir well until sugar and honey gets dissolved.
- Add eggs into the sauce. Scoop sauce on top of eggs. Close lid tight and store in fridge. Rotate after 1 hour. Can consume within 2-3 hours or for deeper flavor, store in fridge over night.
- Serve egg and sauce on a bed of fresh rice. Drizzle sesame oil or butter on top. Mix and enjoy!
Leave a Reply