Posted 3/9/2020 Modified 8/6/2022
This Savory Mapo Tofu Recipe is perfect for that busy weekday meals! You only need few main ingredients to create this healthy and delicious dish that can be shared with your whole family! Pair it with some hot steaming rice and you are done!
There are many variations to Mapo Tofu recipes out there. I think it’s a fantastic dish you can create and easily make it your own style. That’s probably why I really enjoy this dish! I used less oil, and altered the typical seasonings to fit my Korean taste buds. Perhaps you can say that my dish is a lighter version of the traditional Mapo tofu. Nevertheless, it’s still full of flavors and zing!! check out my recipe and give it a go!!
should i marinate the meat prior to cooking?
I like to marinate the meat prior to cooking, to create a clean taste and enhance the meat flavor. For this Mapo Tofu, the ground meat can be delicate, so I recommend mixing the marinade into the meat with chopsticks in a circular motion.
what type of meat can i use for mapo tofu?
Yes, you can substitute the meat! This recipe can also work well for ground beef and ground chicken.
What kind of tofu should i use?
This one is a personal preference. I typically use the medium firm or firm tofu for my Mapo Tofu, but it’s really up to you. If you do prefer to use the soft tofu, make sure you decrease the cooking time.
Seriously, all you need is some hot sticky white rice with this one pan meal Mapo Tofu! Get the whole family to join in, share and enjoy!!
did you enjoy my Savory mapo tofu recipe?
Be sure to check out my other delicious recipes below!
Savory Mapo Tofu Recipe
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 25 oz tofu (medium firm) diced
- 2 cup water
- 1 tsp seasame oil
- 1 bunch scallion chopped for garnish
- 1 pinch sesame seeds
Meat marinade (add to meat)
- 16 oz pork ground
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing Wine (Chinese cooking wine)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch pepper
Mapo Tofu Sauce
- 1½ tbsp Korean gochujang
- 1 tbsp korean doengjang
- 1 tbsp Koean soy sauce
- 1 tbsp guchugaru (red pepper powder) more or less
- 3 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing Wine (Chinese cooking wine)
- Make meat marinade. Mix pork with marinade using chopsticks, set aside.
- Make Mapo Tofu Sauce and set aside.
- Dice onion and tofu. Chop scallion. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or a large skillet. Add oil into the skillet and cook onion until transparent.
- Add meat into the skillet and stir-fry about 5-6 min.
- Add tofu and cook another 2-3 min stirring gently. Add more oil if needed.
- Pour in the sauce and mix gently for 1 min. Add water and simmer for about 7 min stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat. Drizzle sesame oil. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy with hot rice!!
- Folded Kimbap Recipe (Korean Tortilla Hack)
- Easy 15-Minute Fried Rice Recipe
- Easy Korean Cucumber Salad (oi muchim) with Mini Cukes
- Korean Watermelon Punch/Subak Hwachae (Dairy Free)
- Sweet Summer Corn with Rice
- Easy Clay Pot Chicken Porridge