Ojingeo Bokkeum, is a Korean Spicy Stir-Fried Squid dish known for their spicy, sweet and smoky flavor combinations. With amazing texture and tempting flavors, this is a must for Seafood lovers and Spicy food lovers!
This is one of my favorite seafood dishes, If you have never tasted it before, I hope you can give this a try! It was definitely a hit with my fam this week!! It’s a quick dish that can be whipped up in about 30 minutes and best served with plain hot rice!! Great crowd pleaser and good until the last bite!!
how do koreans eat this dish?
The savory sauce is also quite notable for their ability to entice the eaters–to eat more rice! Many Koreans will literally mix the rice with the sauce, like bibimbap style, creating another rice meal if you will. And it is not considered rude to do this, but very normal in Korean culture! So go ahead, mix that rice and enjoy!
what does spicy squid stir fry taste like?
The predominant flavors come from the spicy sauce made with goghujang and gochugaru. Luckily, the sweetness will balance everything out very nicely. The texture for this dish is also a great feature. Since squid is naturally chewy & juicy, it pairs well with the crunchy vegetable texture.
Helpful tip: make sure you don’t over stir fry (over cook) the squid. That can actually make the squid tougher and harder to chew!!
did you enjoy this recipe?
Please check out my other delicious recipes!
Spicy Stir Fried Squid, Ojingeo Bokkeum
- ⅓ cup chopped scallion, white part only
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1.2 lb 2 whole squid cleaned, cut into bitesize
- 1 carrot, medium sliced
- 1 onion, medium sliced
- ½ zucchini sliced
- 1 baby red pepper sliced
- 1 baby orange pepper sliced
- 1 Korean green pepper sliced
- ½ tbsp oligodang syrup
- ⅓ cup chopped scallion, green part only
- 1 pinch sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp white cooking wine
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 2 tbsp red chilli pepper flakes coarse
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Clean whole squid as needed. Chop the body into rectangular bite size. Cut the legs 2-3" lengthwise. Score diagonal lines if desired. Pat dry with paper towel. Set Aside.
- Make the spicy sauce. Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Add the squid into this bowl and stir gently. Set aside in fridge while the veggies get prepped.
- Prep the veggies. Chop and slice as needed. Set aside.
- Into a heated pan, add 1T oil and add 1tsp garlic and 1/3 cup scallion (white part only). Stir fry on medium until fragrant, about 2 min.
- Increase heat to high. Add onion, carrot and 2Tbsp more oil. Stir fry for about 2 min.
- Add the marinated squid into the pan and stir fry for about 3min. Add the zucchinis and all the peppers and stir fry 3-4min. Turn off heat and add oligodang. Give it a good stir. Then garnish with sesame seeds and green scallions! Serve accompanied with hot rice!
Leave a Reply