what is jaeyuk bokkeum?
Jaeyuk Bokkeum or Pork Bulgogi is a meat dish that is equally popular to beef bulgogi in Korea. Literal translation of Jaeyuk means pork and bokkeum means stir-fry. If you are a big fan of spicy Korean food, this is a must try item. My recipe, however, is a milder version of Jaeyuk Bokkeum so kids can enjoy it as well. But not to worry, flavorwise, It’s just as tasty and addicting!!
HOw shoul I prep for Jaeyuk Bokkeum?
- First, prep the meat. Add seasoning per the recipe and set aside.
- Next, make spicy sauce. You can increase the gochujang here to make it more spicy.
- Third, chop all the vegetables and set it aside.
- Next, marinate the meat with spicy sauce.
- Finally, pan fry everything together!
What kind of pan should I use to cook?
Due to the sauce being on the dense, sticky, and sweet side, I suggest using a coated/non-stick pan to cook Jaeyuk Bokkeum. If you plan to cook on an outside grill, make sure the grills are coated with oil prior to cooking Jaeyuk Bokkeum.
can i add other vegetables to jaeyuk bokkeum?
Yes of course! Here are some vegetables I suggest:
- red onion
- red pepper
Don’t these look mouth watering? Easy to make and share with other too! Enjoy these with a bed or rice or wrapped with lettuce and samjang!! Happy Cooking!
Korean Spicy Pork Bulgolgi, Jaeyuk Bokkeum
- 1 lb 11oz pork bulgolgi meat
- 3 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- ½ tbsp ginger minced
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 1½ tbsp Korean soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maesil extract
- 2 tsp raw cane sugar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 pinch sesame seeds
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2-3 spring onion chopped 2" long
- 12-14 pc shishito green peppers chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Place meat into a bowl and add sake. Toss gently, set aside.
- Make the spicy sauce. Add everything except for sesame seeds, onion, spring onion and peppers and vegetable oil. Mix well. Can add more gochujang if desired.
- Add the spicy sauce to the meat and mix well using hands. Let it sit for 15 min.
- Chop vegetables.
- Heat a large surface non-stick pan and add oil. Cook the meat on high for 4-5 min or until meat is no longer pink. Add the vegetables and cook additional minute.
- Turn off heat and garnish with sesame seeds.
Leave a Reply