Calling all healthy fritter lovers!! This one is for you!! I had a hard time naming this dish since it has so many healthy and tasty ingredients!! I love fritters and this one is quite different than the norm!! You would never have guessed that I stuck some barley in here!! Even my 8 year old gobbled it up in minutes without complaints! This Barley Bacon Veggie Fritters have all the healthy ingredients mashed together to bring you the best flavor and texture, it’s out of this world!! Give it a try today!
what kind of barley is used for this dish?
For this dish, I used the purple barley, which is the hulled version. This one has more texture and bounce compared to the white pearly barley. The hulled version is known to be more nutritious than the pearl white ones because the nutrients have not been stripped away. I wonder if this is what people ate long ago! Ha!
how do you cook the purple barley?
I highly recommend using the Instant Pot for cooking the purple barley. It’s so easy to cook. All you have to do is to give the barley a little wash, pour it into the pot with water and salt and set the timer to go! Easy and Delicious!! The funny thing is, my dog ate one that droppe on the floor and she really loved it! I am really thinking about making her a treat with some barley in the future!
can you sub the ingredients?
Of course! That is the beauty of fritters! you can replace the veggies of your choice. But just make sure the consistency is not too wet.
what can i do with left over cooked barley?
You can keep it in a sealed container, in the fridge for about 2 days. If you don’t plan to use it right away, put them in a freezer ziplock bag, and use it within a month. I will soon post another recipe where you can enjoy purple barley in a different way! Be on a lookout!!
- Organic Purple Barley, I used 1000 Springs Mill Brand
- Japanese Style Panko
- Non-Stick skillet
- Instant Pot 6 qt
Did you love this recipe?
Did you try this recipe and loved it? Please take a picture/upload and tag me on Instagram @seasonedbyjin I would love to see your creation!!
Barley Bacon Veggie Fritters
- 6 qt Instant Pot
- 12" nonstick skillet
- mixing bowl
- ¾ cup baby spinach, fresh firmly pressed
- 2 blocks hash brown, frozen 3"x4"x½" rectangle
- 2 strips bacon diced
- 3 eggs large
- ½ cup cooked purple barley
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ⅔ cup panko
Instant Pot Cooking for Barley
- ½ cup raw purple barley, hulled
- 2 cup water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Rinse ½ cup of barley with water. Drain and pour it into an Instant Pot. Add salt and water and seal lid. Press Manual Cook on High for 30min. When time is up, let it sit in warm for 20-30min. Open lid and drain into a strainer. Set aside to cool.
- Microwave the frozen hash brown until you can mash it. It should be cool but malleable. Coarsely mash and set aside.
- Chop baby spinach into small pieces. Set aside.
- Into a big mixing bowl, bring all the ingredients together except spinach. Mix well until all have been incorporated. Add spinach and stir it up.
- Bring a skillet to med-high heat. Add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil. Drop about 1/3cup fritter batter into the pan. Give it a gentle nudge press with hand. After 2 min, flip and press down with a spatula, forming a 3" round circle. After 2 min, give it a final flip and cook for 1min. Both sides should be golden brown.
- Serve hot with dip of your choice and sprinkle lemon juice, optional.