I don’t know how many times I have made Dak Juk/Dak Jook, but I can definitely make this with my eyes closed now. But seriously, I make this so much that it has become one of our favorite fam meal!! This Dak Juk is everything you want for a meal; it’s homey, comforting, smooth, tasty and just plain good for you!! The texture and flavor will grab you from the first bite. So satisfying and so tasty!! Lastly, Dak Juk is a great meal for any age group and perfect as a healing meal!!
what do i need for dakjook?
You will only need 5 ingredients for this dish, plus salt and pepper to taste. You will need homemade chicken stock, cooked/boiled chicken meat, water and two types of rice. If you need to make the chicken stock, you can easily boil a young chicken with a pot of water and add aromatics like garlic cloves, ginger root and onion. Bring to boil and medium simmer for 40-45min. That’s it!! Strain the stock and use it as needed.
why do i need to mix two types of rice?
You can use just use the sushi rice only, but I have tasted a difference when the sweet rice was added. It gave more of a sweet afternote and the texture was little different too. Overall a nice balance to the soup, subtle difference but you can taste it.
what kind of stock pot is recommended?
For all types of porridge, having a tall stock pot is going to be more helpful. You also want to have one with a vent hole on the lid as well. That helps the air escape a bit incase porridge overflows. And trust me, I had many incidents of porridge overflowing. When making porridge, you want to stay near the stove top or set that timer!!
can you save the leftover?
I personally don’t recommend leftovers, but if you do end up having leftovers, a good way to reheat it by stove top on low heat and add more water to the pot. Because they tend to thicken as they cool, it can burn the porridge. Lastly, make sure you stir as you warm up the porridge to avoid burning as well.
KOREAN CHICKEN AND RICE PORRIDGE, DAK JUK
- Tall stock pot with lid, 10 qts.
- 6 cups Homemade chicken stock unseasoned
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup short grain sushi rice washed and drained
- ½ cup short grain sweet rice washed and drained
- 1½ cup shredded chicken, after making the chicken stock
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ½ cup chopped scallion
- sesame seeds
- Into a tall stock pot, add chicken stock, water and rice. Put on the lid, and bring to boil. Once the stock boils, give it a stir. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 15min with lid.
- Give it a stir and cook with lid for another 5min.
- Add chicken meat and stir. Lid should be slightly tilted to let some air out. Cook in medium heat for 20min. Check and stir every 5min to prevent sticking.
- Add 1-2 sea salt, and pinch of black pepper. Open lid and cook in medium heat for 5-10min, stirring frequently until desired consistency.
- Scoop into a serving bowl. Garnish with scallion, sesame seeds and black pepper.