I have been making these power muffins for awhile now, and each time, they never have the same ingredients except for one item, quinoa!! I fell in love with Trader Joe’s Tricolor Quinoa at first bite!! Something about their flavors and textures that just intrigued me from the start! Anyhow, you are going to love these gluten-free, protein packed, Quinoa Power muffins that’s gonna keep you fueled up and powered up! These are so tasty you will soon forget how healthy they are!! These make great snacks, breakfast, or even on the go meals!!
what kind of quinoa is used for these muffins?
My personal favorite one is the Trader Joe’s Organic Tricolor Quinoa. Tricolor Quinoa is pretty much a blend of organic white, black and red quinoa. This mixture of quinoa has a nice nutty flavor and a fluffy, crunchy texture. Quinoa is known for their iron, rich in fiber and protein!!
what do these muffins taste like?
If you enjoy eating quiche, you may find some flavors similar in theses muffins. However these muffins have less dairy and definitely much more texture. The shell is on the chewy side and the inside has a nice balance of texture and savory flavors. You don’t really taste the spinach even though they are visible. Seriously, your kids will love them, without complaints!!
Can i dip them in sauce?
Of course! You can use honey, ketchup, barbque sauce, honey mustard etc etc! It’s all up to you! Because they muffins are not salty, they can pair well with any sauces of your choice!
how long will these muffins last?
Fresh muffins can be left out in room temperature for half the day after being cooled. Afterward, it would be best to refrigerate them since they do have milk and egg content. Reheat as needed.
can i alter the ingredients?
Certainly yes! Just make sure that the batter is not too runny or too thick, and of course the cooking time will vary. You can add or replace vegetables of your choice, and protein as well.
- Trader Joe’s Organic Tricolor Quinoa – 16 oz.
- Indian Head Old Fashioned Stone Ground Yellow Corn Meal
- McCormick Classic Garlic Powder
Quinoa Spinach Power Muffins
- 12 pc muffin pan
- ¼ cup cooked spinach, firmly packed
- ½ cup corn, frozen
- ¾ cup shredded hash brown potatoes, frozen
- ½ cup honey baked ham, diced
- ¾ cup tricolor quinoa, cooked
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup yellow corn meal
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Mexican 4 cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degree fahrenheit. Grease a 12 count muffin pan. Set aside.
- Thaw frozen cooked spinach, squeeze excess water. Chop into bite size if needed. Measure1/4 cup firmly packed, then add into large mixing bowl.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients into the mixing bowl except cheese. Mix well.
- Add cheese and gently mix.
- Fill 12 cavities equally and gently press down on the top. Tap the pan against the counter twice to let out air.
- Bake for 35min. Let it rest on the muffin pan for 3-4 minutes before popping them out.