A refreshing kimchi you can make in less than 20mins! This Tomato Kimchi with Chives will become your go to recipe when you are craving some homemade kimchi flavors! With added crunch from the fresh onions and chives, you will be so satisfied! Try this delightful kimchi today!
my thoughts on tomato kimchi…
After making Tomato Kimchi a few times in my kitchen, I realized how wonderful this dish is, by itself or paired with other main dishes. And talk about the colors, so vibrant and perfect for that pretty table setting too! When you try this recipe using my secret sauce, you will see how amazing each vegetable tastes and truly come alive! Such a refreshing and delicious kimchi, now the secret is out!
what kind of tomatoes are best fit for this dish?
You can use any type of tomatoes but do make sure they are firm to touch. You want to look for medium ripened tomatoes, meaning somewhat ripened so you get the sweetness but still firm to touch. The softer ones will have too much water content and may not hold its shape once you start cutting them.
does it matter how you cut the tomatoes?
It’s not a huge factor, however, I found that cutting them into half-moon shapes was helpful when marinating and picking them up with chopsticks. You don’t want to cut the tomatoes too thin or too small since that will create more water content in the kimchi.
how do you make tomato kimchi with chives?
- Combine and make the spicy sauce, set aside. If you want to make it less spicy, you can reduce the gochugaru at this point.
- Slice tomatoes into wedges and mince garlic. Chop onion, chives & scallion. Place them all into a large bowl.
- Pour spicy sauce into the large bowl. Then using two wooden spoons, gently toss the vegetables with sauce. Make sure not to over mix, otherwise you can bruise the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve cold.
how long can i keep tomato kimchi fresh?
This tomato kimchi will taste the best on the day you make it. I would say please consume within 2 days. The tomatoes have high water content, so be mindful of that fact. You don’t want to end up with tomato juice.
did you enjoy this kimchi recipe?
If you want to see more tasty kimchi recipes, be sure to check the ones below!
- THE BEST WATERMELON RIND KIMCHI
- THE BEST BOK CHOY KIMCHI
- PERILLA LEAF KIMCHI, KKAENNIP KIMCHI
- EGGPLANT KIMCHI, GAJI KIMCHI
Tomato Kimchi with Chives
- 12 oz red tomatoes medium riped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ onion, small slice
- ⅓ cup Chinese chives chopped
- ⅓ cup scallion chopped
- 1 pinch roasted sesame seeds
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Anchovy extract
- 1 Tbsp Masil/Plum Syrup
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp gochugaru/red chili flakes coarse
- Make spicy sauce and set aside.
- Cut tomatoes into wedges. Slice/chop rest of the vegetables. Combine all into a large bowl.
- Add the spicy sauce into the large bowl. Use 2 wooden spoons and gently toss veggies with sauce.
- Serve cold and sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds.
- Store in fridge and consume within 2 days.