This Korean Banana Milk recipe is a delicious homemade version that’s sure to please even the non-milk lovers! Made with fresh and wholesome ingredients with a twist at the end! Smooth, frothy with the right balance of sweetness!! Be sure to give this recipe a try!
To my surprise, this Banana milk came out super delicious! And I am not even a big fan of milk! The creamy, frothy texture was perfect with the sweet banana flavor! And the crunchy crushed wafers sprinkled on top, was the perfect finishing touch!!
I grew up drinking banana milk in Korea and this is my interpretation of what I used to enjoy growing up. My version has a twist to it by adding some of my favorite all time snacks, vanilla wafers. Trust me, even the non-milk lovers will enjoy this recipe, give it a try!!
What is Korean Banana Milk?
Korean Banana Milk aka ‘Binggrae Banana Mat Uyu’ has been around forever! I read somewhere that Banana Uyu started to hit the market around 1974. And what’s more amazing is that, their packaging and flavor still remains the same even today!
Banana Milk has gained much popularity over time and now considered an iconic Korean drink. I have a hunch it’s more for the memories/comfort it brings back to the native Koreans. If you have never tried Banana Mat Uyu, look for the Korean flavored milks the next time you visit the Korean grocers.
Here’s a fun fact! Did you know Binggrae is also the manufacturer of Melona, the light green melon popsicles everyone loves! Maybe I should try making some Melona at home next, what do you think?
What are the ingredients in Korean Banana Uyu?
Korean Banana Milk is typically made with milk, water, sugar, banana juice concentrate, carotene, artificial flavors-banana and vanilla. This is a general list of ingredients, and will vary per brand.
What does Korean Banana Milk taste like?
Personally, the taste reminded me of vanilla pudding mixed with milk and banana flavoring or banana juice concentrate. It is a sweet drink and has a smooth consistency that is not too thick or thin. Drinking it icy cold will give you the best result.
How is homemade version different?
Making banana milk from home is a great alternative to buying in my opinion, and here are some reasons why:
- It is much more wholesome and nutritious
- You can definitely taste the real banana flavors
- Make it more fun by adding toppings of your choice
- Does not have artificial flavors, colors or additives
- Keeps you hydrated and fueled up
- Economical and easy to share with others
What are the ingredients for KOrean banana milk recipe?
It’s quite simple, here’s the break down:
- Fresh banana
- milk of choice: I used 1 % but you can use 2% or whole milk. If you use skim milk, your end result may be more on the watery side and not as frothy.
- ice cubes: add more ice if you want to have a frozen yogurt consistency. But you will have to scoop instead of drinking in the beginning.
- sweetener of choice: I used honey, but white sugar or maple syrup will work too.
- vanilla wafer cookies: If you don’t have vanilla wafers, be adventurous and try other toppings!
How do you make Banana Uyu?
- Gather all the ingredients, a mini blender and cup.
- Crush vanilla wafer cookies, set aside.
- Add all the ingredients into the blender, then blend until smooth.
- Adjust sweetener as needed.
- Pour into a cup.
- Sprinkle vanilla wafer cookie crumbs.
- Enjoy cold with a big straw!
What kind of bananas do well in Banana Milk?
I recommend using just ripe bananas vs. overly ripe bananas. Try to use bananas, without any spots on the peel. Using frozen bananas are ok too, but they will give you a darker shaded banana milk.
A list of other ingredients you can blend or add as toppings?
- banana slices
- crushed nuts
- banana chips
- whipped cream
- condensed milk
- vanilla extract
- banana liqueur
- shaved chocolate chunks
Can you save this banana milk for the next day?
I recommend drinking this milk immediately. Reason being, bananas tend to discolor over time. Consuming it fresh off the blender is highly recommended.
did you enjoy this recipe?
This is a quick and easy recipe for anyone who wants a delicious, healthy shake with banana flavor!! You won’t be disappointed! Rate and comment below if you enjoyed this recipe!
be sure to try these other tasty drink recipes!
Korean Banana Milk (with Vanilla Wafers)
- 2 small bananas (ripened) or medium size
- 1 cup cold milk dairy of choice
- 1 cup ice
- 1-2 Tbsp honey or sweetener of choice
- 1 oz Vanilla wafers crushed
- Gather all ingredients and measure as needed.
- Crush vanilla wafers and set aside.
- Into the blender, add bananas, ice, milk and honey. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a cup and sprinkle with crushed vanilla wafers.
- Enjoy cold!