Udon noodles are always available in our freezer since it’s a highly requested item for my girls. They do tend to grab people’s attention due to their thickness, chewiness, easy to grab and slurp kind of characters. I typically add Udon noodles in soups, but for today, I decided to create something different. This Savory Seafood Udon Stir Fry has the perfect balance of protein, veggies, flavor and texture!! At the same time you will have so much fun slurping them all up! Make it any time of the week, since most of the ingredients are freezer friendly!! So who’s ready to cook??
SAVORY SEAFOOD UDON STIR FRY
- Non stick skillet, 12" wide 3" deep
- long wooden spoon for stir frying
- mini mixing bowls
- 3 sheets fish cake rectangular & flat
- 6 frozen jumbo shrimp deveined, tail on
- 2 whole shiitake mushroom dehydrated
- 1 cup water
- 1 whole onion small
- 1 ginger, minced thumbsize
- 1-2 stalk scallion chopped, divided
- 1 whole carrot small
- 2 bundles udon noodles frozen
- 3-4 bunch baby bok choy chopped in half, white and green part divided
- 1 Korean red pepper chopped
- 10 slice pink frozen steamed fish cake roll
- 2 fried tofu pouches frozen
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce gluten free
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1½ Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp raw cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2-3 Tbsp cranberry juice
- ½ Tbsp red chili flakes, coarse optional
- Soak dehydrated mushroom in 1 cup of room temperature water for about 2 hours before cooking time.
- Leave the frozen items at room temperature for 15min: noodles, fish cake sheet, shrimp, fish cake roll, except frozen tofu pouches.
- Make savory sauce and set aside.
- Chop all fresh veggies, including mushroom and set aside.
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil, then divide into 2 bowls. One bowl with 4 cups of water, emerge noodles for 2min, then rinse and drain. One bowl with 2 cups of water, add fish cake sheets for 1min, then drain only.
- Slice fish cakes sheets and set aside. Chop frozen tofu pouches and set aside. Slice the pink fish cake roll and set aside.
- Heat pan on high heat. Once hot, add 2-3 Tbsp of oil and stir fry ginger and white part of scallion only until fragrant. Add onion, carrot, fish cakes, white part of bok choy, and shrimp into the pan. Keep stirring and add pinch of salt and pepper and Shaoxing wine. Cook until shrimp is no longer pink.
- Add noodles, 1/2 cup of mushroom soaked water and stir fry for 1-2min.
- Add savory sauce and stir fry for about 1-2min.
- Turn off heat and add green part of bok choy, fried tofu slices, green part of scallion, red pepper, and sesame seeds. Mix well and leave in pan for 1-2min. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.