August 3, 2020
If you love fritters, you will totally love Korean jeons! This particular one is called Wanja Jeon, translated as pan-fried mini meat patties. These dainty bite size meatballs are packed with flavors and healthy ingredients! Be sure to give it a try!
These are typically round shaped and include some type of meat, seasoning, tofu and vegetables. The name also reflects a cooking process where the seasoned meat is dipped in flour, egg wash then pan-fried. There are many variations to this dish but this is the way I enjoy it! They are quite delicious and may resemble little flat meatballs. Very popular among kids and great as finger food too!!
did you enjoy this wanja jeon recipe?
These are so easy to make and share with others! Hot off the pan is the best time to consume in my opinion! Hope you can try this and taste all the goodness!! So addictingly good!! Be sure to check out my other delicious recipes!
Pan-Fried Mini Meat Patties, Wanja Jeon
- 7 oz ground pork
- 7 oz ground beef
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- 3 tbsp scallion chopped
- 2 tbsp carrot finely diced
- 9 oz firm tofu drained thoroughly & mashed
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp egg whisked
- ½ tsp sesame seed
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs whisked
- Place tofu on a strainer for about 2~3 hours with a heavy object on top and take out as much moisture. Use paper towel and gently squeeze. (Another method is to use a cheese cloth to squeeze out water immediately.
- Finely dice onion and carrot. Chop scallions and mince garlic. Mash tofu. Set aside.
- Into a mixing bowl, combine meat, vegetables, seasonings and tofu.
- Mix everything well with hand.
- Create 2" round meatball circles. Press down to make them little flatter like patties. Arrange on a plate.
- Heat pan on medium high, add oil generously. Meanwhile, coat the meatball with flour, shaking off excess to prevent caking.
- Next dip the meatball into the egg wash, making sure flour is not visible. This helps prevent from burning.
- Then transfer unto the heated pan. Carefully lay the meatball and cook until golden brown. Flip and press down with the spatula lightly and hold for a 2-3 seconds. Cook until golden brown. Repeat on each meatball.